Much to catch up on.

I’ve done a lot of cutting and grinding. The top plate of the gasifier barrel, which is an old rusted out dosa pan, now has a 4″ hole in the center.

gasifier-3-top

Rusty dosa pan turned gasifier top plate. Slight concavity might come in handy for a hopper in the future.

The fire tube has a 1 1/2″ hole in it to receive the direct ignition port. Still have no idea how to make a full weld there.

gasifier-3-9

No idea how this will get welded.

The gasification barrel top is now off.

gasifier-3-1

Ohai, i r a paint thinr barel. I can haz gasifiez?

The bottom of the top media filter barrel is off and a hole is in the bottom of the bottom media filter barrel.

gasifier-3-7

Two paint buckets in one, makes for a taller media filter and cleaner gas. That’s the idea anyway.

We’ve started with a few initial welds. We got the eyelet plates welded to the sides of the fire tube.┬áThe shaker shaft and hook are welded together and ready to receive silicone once the shaker tube is welded in. And we got the ring welded to the bottom of the stainless steel bowl grate.

gasifier-3-8

Gasifier pr0n: fire tube with welded wings and double nutted eyelets; threaded ignition ports; shaker grate, ring and chain; shaker shaft, pipe and hook

 

We got two pieces of exhaust pipe welded together which will serve to connect the cyclone filter to the media filter with a single 90O turn.

gasifier-3-5

Rotted out end of an exhaust pipe provides less drilling for the media filter!

And we also got a test piece welded that joined some scrap material from the gasification barrel to some thin pipe.

gasifier-3-3

Our man with the plan Francis rocking the stick welder on steel that is way too thin for stick welding and pulling it off like a boss. No I was not looking at the arc when I took this picture.

This was successful and that was very good news because if all goes well we won’t need to use plate steel joinery for many of the attachment points of pipe to barrel, at least not on the gasification barrel. The media filter will need a plate to join the pipe to the barrel because the barrel sidewall is too thin to weld and I’m not going to try to find a brazier here in Goa.

We found a guy in Arambol who has an old school metal lathe and he was able to cut us a handful of plates with various circular diameters which again we might not need but they’re good to have just in case. He also was able to make a decent 1 1/2″ circular cut into the lid of the cyclone filter with minimal damage.

gasifier-3-4

Our lathe cutter in Arambol bringing in his diamond point to cut a 1 1/2″ circle in the lid of our cyclone filter. Picture taken about ten seconds before the lid flew out of the lathe grips and shot across the shop at an alarming velocity.

We sourced RTV silicone from Mapusa – YES! so the shaker is ready to go once it’s welded in and the shaft covered in grease. I put holes in the sidewall of the gasifier for the two ignition ports, FEMA and modified direct firetube port, as well as for the shaker.

gasifier-3-10

The works at the moment; fire tube is in a bar clamp for measurement purposes

Our welder happened to have two offcuts of threaded 1 1/2″ pipe – perfect for ignition ports. So sweet. Still need to cut them to length, probably going to get the welder to do it on his big abrasive saw.

gasifier-3-11

Inside the machine: 1:00 is the cleanout port, 4:00 is the FEMA ignition port, 5:00 is the shaker, 10:00 is the cyclone filter, 11:00 is the firetube ignition port.

I also made a condensate collector for the cyclone filter out of a pickle jar. So that happened.

To do list:

  • Work out the order of operations for welding everything together
  • Source a blower
  • Source a battery
  • Match some flare pipe to the blower
  • Match some pipe/fittings/valves to the blower
  • Pick up threaded ignition port pipe caps – Mapusa, you never disappoint | edit: done.
  • Work out how to seal the cleanout port | edit: done. I knocked together two speaker stands today and in the process cut up a yoga mat to dampen vibration between the stand platforms and the speakers. I realized in so doing that the mat material is a good material to use as flange seals.
  • Build the carburetor
  • Pick up generator from service shop and/or get a clunky old generator for cheap
  • Build a platform for the media filter | edit: done.
  • Cut media filter pipe to length and tack weld a cap at the end
  • Weld a bunch of stuff
  • Source cashew husks
  • Source sawdust
  • Source woodchips

I’m not too happy with the fact that the media filter is so high above the rest of the build but in this case that’s the tradeoff for a single turn of pipe between the cyclone and media filters.

That’s it for now. It’s getting interesting. I’m hoping for a flame in 7-10 days.

See you in the 40O sun with grinder in hand,

~Nathan

Edit: the guys on staff here hung a tarp over my workstation. I think they were getting exasperated watching me grind metal in the blazing heat. Suprabhat!